Sunday, July 5, 2009

ZA4

I have officially taugh 2 days of school at Ndaedzo Secondary school in Dzwerani! i have the 11 grade math and science class and they are so much fun.

They do actually listen to me and we are quickly getting to communicate really well. Actually, during our break between classes we always have a good time... lots of questions like "do you know Obama" ... or the list of celebrities... do you know...? it always makes me smile.


I walk to school everyday and on the way in the am the village has a haze from the open fire which almost everyone burns in the morning and at night to cook food. the town often smells of camp fire.


One of the teachers who i have become closest to, Thomas, is an actual chief for one of the tribes around here. He is very well educated and i have learned so much from him about the culture here... one of the things i have learned from others is that when you are a chief you have MANY wifes... which i have mentioned is a common part of the culture here... i am trying to figure out how many... the students laugh and tell me that he has so many too many to count.


Oh one of the things that is left from the apartied is that i am often called Madame, this is b/c i am white and it is a form of formal respect. I have politely asked my teachers to just call me Christa.

No comments:

Post a Comment