Sunday, August 16, 2009

The fun continues...

So i am all better, feeling great and on my last leg, only 8 days of class left. I cant believe it. Time is flying. I do have to admit I have begun to think about some of the things i have missed from home... like driving my car, and green vegateble salads (becca you should be proud), a proper shower...

Everday i just love my mom, Maria, here more and more. I have found out she is a lover of animals. She has named all of her cows.. and the other day there was a slaughtered cow in the back of the buckie... i asked my sister.. oh is this one of our cows... "Oh NO!... mom wont kill her cows she goes and buys one, she loves her's too much" i just cracked up... I see Maria talking with them, so cute.
She is also very kind to the dogs we have. Most people here look at dogs as waste removal and an alarm system... and very dirty. So it is nice to see her be so kind to them.
She and i have also developed quite the communication system. Suprisingly enough it works well. The other day she was showing me how to cook the poriage. HARD work let me tell ya this woman is strong. we had a delightful time and had many good laughs out of the experiacne.

So the power was out ALL day in the entire area. So as night fell that is when it was really differnt. SO dark everywhere. we fortunately have the fire out back, so we all hung out there and laughed... i even had the stuff to make smores!!! So here i have now brought the american treat to them. It was a big hit... they loved it! Actually another request has been put in for them.

I have run out of books to read here and so i have managed to take some of the story books from the school to read. All are african stories and have been quite fun to read. Different story telling style and a much different subject matter. I have learned serveral cultural things from these stories... but my favorite was when one story described what they thought of white people when they first arrived... " fuzzy hair, skin that looks like in doesnt have enough blood, and noses that stick out like a bird beak!" I was cracking up...

1 comment: