Monday, August 24, 2009

Bitter sweet

Well here i am the last week of volunteering... i had some things i planned to write but i have now forgotten.
But anyway. i guess this last weekend i have just spent some time really reflecting on the past 10 weeks. Wow what an experiacne... if you are so inclinded or have ever remotely thought of doing something like this! DO IT!!!!! what are you waiting for.

Though this has probably been the hardest, most personally challenging, cluture thrown in my face..etc experiance in my life. I have also learned more about myself and other in such a short amount of time.

I have realized basically all people are the same. Teenagers are really ALL the same... :) we all cry, laugh, sing, dance... want to bond with others. yes there are wonderful peopel and crappy people everywhere you go. But it is the relationships with the wonderful people that really make the difference.

I will so miss my learners. We have had such a good time, teaching each other. Lots of laughs and hard work all together. I will miss fire side chats with my family. Smell of fire in the morning, i will miss the sunrise on my walk to school on the rocky, dusty road, the overly crowded (20+) people in a "taxi" when you are tired hot and everyone is bring back heaps of things back home... even that...

But i wont miss the blantant hitting on that happens when you are a female here. Sexism is a problem. If i am with a guy (volunteer) and we are walking around together... no one will approach you b/c it is assumed you are eithe r married or in a relationship. But since all the male volunteers have left or i am in town with my sister... Ish... men approahc every single time...
" My sisiter... hello... what is your name... where are you from... i want to see you again... what is your number... " i am not kidding this is pretty much how it goes. No, i dont feel unsafe or threatened.. b/c it is in day light of a busy town... but holy cow... guys give it up.
Nothing about my responces or body language gives you any idea i am interested... they keep on badgering at times... keep in mind many of these men are already married...
Yes i have had teachers at my school hit on me.. multiple times.
I have no come to saying ... "you can have my husbands phone number..." "What...oh i just want to be your friend... " ....sure that is what you want...

my sister was telling my mom and brothers many of these stories and my responces to them... we were all laughing and laughing... so i should say not all the men are like that here... like my brothers and many of the teachers at school are very respectful.

Those few that ruin it for the rest...

But as i said overall i will really miss Venda and how hard people laugh here and enjoy life, even when they have so little. I look forward to coming back to visit...

1 comment:

  1. Christa-

    these are beautiful thoughts reflective of a joyful soul. I am so proud of you and can't wait to hear your stories and again share your joy.

    Love-

    Katie

    ReplyDelete