Saturday, June 27, 2009

ZA 3

Hi everyone,
So i have been in northern South africa for one week now. And suprisingly comfortable. You pick up on how things work rather quickly.
Things are very different but so far so good. My family is very wonderful and welcoming. Suprisingly i have hot running water, which most people dont!
I have been trying lots of different foods, but have found that the fried chicken is the best... and this is true free range organic chicken
as in that i see it killed and cleaned before it eat it. In the evening we sit outside , my "mother" here builds a fire and we sit around and chat. Well i listen more b/c my Tshivende is not very good, but i get better by the day.
I am actually not allowed to do much for my self. All my washing is done for me and all clothes are ironed. I have managed to allow them to let me cook for myself on some evenings.

I am getting used to ALWAYS being starred at, white people are few... as in myself and the 2 other volunteers. So we will here children yell out in Vende "White person!"
But it is all good. The town is actually very safe. One of my neighbor kids has become my running buddy, so he and i run down the main road almost every evening... i can only imagine what everyone driving past thinks...this kid can run for days and i think will make a runner out of me after all.

My school is good too. I am at a highschool and actually one of the "wealthier" schools in the area, but not by much. This week was there final week, and then we start winter school. I taught two science labs and really enjoyed helping the students/ learners as they are called here. The kids all like to come up and ask me "how are you?..." or will just yell out " I'm fine!" ... not all of them are able to speak english so communication can be interesting. But all of them think it is very weird that i am 26... not married and without children! un heard of...
I also had the opportunity to join some of the male teachers the other day outside for lunch. We piled all of our lunches together and enjoyed eating. This is when i became versed in all of thier multiple wives... very common.

So all and all things are good. Everyday is something different to learn or see. BUt the people are very nice and welcoming.

Cheers... hope all is well on "the other side."

No comments:

Post a Comment