Tuesday, June 16, 2009

ZA 1

Hello all. So I have arrived safely to South Africa and was very kindly greeted off the plane in Joburg but a friend of mine's Aunt. His family has been so generous and welcoming to me i can't even begin to explain!
I have spent a few days in Joburg. Keep in mind it is winter here... southern Hem. So things are rather dry and brown at the moment. Joburg is a big busy city. Even though you can see the poverty all around, venders at the stop lights ( or robots) as they call them, joburg also has a very poshe side as well. Lots of BMW and Mercedes driving around. I spent a few nights, wide awake here... jet lag was brutal...
Then is was off to the South, Durban. Durban is a port city on the coast of the indian ocean. Really a quite beautiful town. They have the ocean front area which is really well designed. Lots of people were out walking on the beach, kite surfing, swimming... all in the winter, b/c it is really mild, even though all the Saffers think is it "freezing" cold. Ha. We even managed to get some fresh.. out of the ocean sushi. It was so cheap. well to me at least. sushi and half a bottle of wine cost me $15 with tip.
The Durban area is much more moutainous and rolling hills compared to the central portion. While i was there i also stayed on my friends Dairy farm outside of the city. The view from my bed room was so brilliant.
Saturday I will meet up with my program coordinator and head off to the Limpopo Provence.
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment