Thursday, June 3, 2010

Cordova!

Well i have officially been here almost a week now and loving it here. Cordova itself is a small 2,000 or so people fishing town. The harbor is really pretty amazing. All these boat parked. People in rubber overall and tall Rubber boots is a common site around town. I have actually picked up some of my own rubber boots because let me tell you when it is raining they are a must!

So i will back up. Last Thursday after succesfully passing my CDL test I flew out to Anchorage. Once we were over AK i was like a 5 year old plastered to the window. The mountains are unbelivable. They just keep going on and on as if they dont stop. YOu can see glaciers and the ocean. Really breath taking. These mountains put the Rockies to shame. I was telling my mom that i was shocked that people in the late 1800 were determined to climb over them... b/c I would have stopped long before these. But as she pointed out gold has a strong alure. boy does it.

So after sleeping in the Anchorage Airport... which has an automated woman's voice come over the loud speaker every hour to let you know what time it was. "The current time in Anchorage is 2 am" Yes thankyou I was sleeping glad to know. I checked in my luggage and grabbed a cup of tea, which i quickly regretted b/c i realized i would have to go through security again to get on my flight. Well not in AK.. and the small airline i was on b/c i just kept on walking and turns out no security just walk up to the gate! loving the small town.

Once arriving to camp around 8 am ish. I through my stuff in my 7' x 9' canvas tent, for which i will call home for the next 3 months! One of my co-workers helped me to build a wood platform for my bed aka thermarest and sleeping bag. Ahhh home sweet home. Each of us has our own tent and we also have a large tent with a wood burning stove and gas stove for our kitchen/ living room.

We are still waiting for the last crew member but the rest of us (5) have been having a great time getting to know each other through community dinners, trivial pursuit games and just general story telling. Oh Ben our last team memeber arrives tomorrow and we have already giving a nick name of Benny- boo boo. I am sure he will love it.

Oh the seanery, well it is plain ridiculous. We have already been out on the glacier and down the Sheridan River a few times. I do have to say the first time you see a glacier is pretty spectacular. And getting to go out and through on crampons to play on it is even better. We found these amazing azure blue pools and drink the water straigh out of it! We are all planning to cliff jump off into the pool. Which is goign to be fridged.

The people in this town are incredibly nice. Every person we talk with just loves to hear about what we are doing and are excited to have us here, recommend places for us to eat, etc. Just really welcoming. The last owners of the opperation we are takign over, have been great at showing us the ropes and sharing their knowledge of flora, fauna and history. They even had us over the other night for fresh Red Copper salmon. So good by the way. That frozen shipped over stuff just isnt quite the same.

I did manage to get a "shower" in the other day. we do have a camp shower, which is basically a plastic bag we fill up with h2o and hang from a tree which has a nozzle on it. so i waited for a day that was sunny and warm... hiked into the woods and had myself a shower. really pretty nice.
these cold rainy days will be a bit more creative but i think we have a system we are coming up with. Between all of us we are comign up with all sort of creative problem solving techniques.

BAcially, we have just been getting ready, practicing backing up trailers, driving the bus, setting up camp/ home and getting ready for the summer! and having a blast doing it.

1 comment: